Saturday 15 December 2012

Last week before summer break!!

My last week at school is unlike any other that I have experienced. It is quite unusual to end part way through a year knowing that I will not be there to finish what has been started. Many of my students have made some incredible progress, and with another few months, I believe they can develop the skills they need to be independent learners. These "learning plans" are left unfinished. Although Gary is an exceptional teacher, he does not know them and has not yet had the opportunity to form those relationships necessary to foster change. Although I am confident that Gary will be able to satisfy the needs of some of my highest risk students, it feels like I am abandoning my own kids sometimes.

My classroom will no longer be mine. I have plans to alter it so that it keeps its "teached in" look with student work posted on the walls, yet loses it's "Wondganess". Plans need to be left for Gary so that he can land running and carry on where I left off without too much discomfort. The students are excited to teach him how to use Google Docs through the EPS portal.

We are currently organizing a binder to bring along with all of the important documents such as claim forms, tax receipts, wills, etc. Packing light is an art and although we still have a few weeks before we take off, the organizing has begun. For me (Greg), packing is when I get the most excited. It is the first step in the adventure.

The other part of my mind envisions getting on the airplane with the knowledge that our "to do list" is finally empty. That's right... an empty to do list. I can't even imagine that. We will be going to the Cook Islands for New Year's Eve, spend a couple nights, then head to New Zealand to do a three week tour by camper van. This is a vacation that we are very much looking forward to! I know that I will need to have a break before staring a whole new school year on January 23.

1 comment:

  1. Your campervan trip around New Zealand sounds fabulous. We're going to Tasmania to undertake a similar experience. Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete