Thursday 20 December 2012

Summer Vacation

It's hard to believe that at -17 in Edmonton (-25 with the windchill), we're about to start summer vacation. But what's even harder (believe it or not) is saying goodbye to workmates. (I think that's what they call them in Australia!) It seems like just yesterday I returned to work on the CCM project and now, just as my work is taking off, it's off I go to Australia. I wish I could delay my departure!

It won't be the same watching from a distance. I'll miss Tim and John's leadership (and sense of humour) and the absolute brilliance of the BAs and tremendous dedication of the rest of the CCM team. I know people always say this but I really do feel privileged to have worked on CCM.

I hope you will think of me from time to time and keep me in the loop on what's happening in CCM. Have a wonderful year and please keep in touch!

   -Heather


It's no coincidence that both Heather and I had the same idea to post a blog that described our feelings about the last day of work. Friday December 21 has been a date that we have been counting down to for months. Now that it is here, our hearts have become very heavy, and we know that we are leaving people who will be dearly missed. We both felt that we needed to write something for our colleagues.
I have had the privilege of working with a group of master teachers and administrators who have pushed me to be a better educator and have therefore improved my life professionally and personally. To say that the Science department at Londonderry Junior High is impressive is an understatement. In only 3 years, this department has made significant progress at developing a program that caters to those students who typically fail in school. We have developed fun lab activities, projects, and adapted assessments that challenge students to show us what they are capable of. All of the teachers at Londonderry live by the philosophy that "if they can't learn the way we teach, then we must teach the way that they learn". It's a great place to work and it feels scary to leave a place like that to venture into the unknown. The administration at Londonderry trusts us to do a great job and allows us the freedom to take risks and experiment with new ideas to get more students moving towards the finish line. It is such a rewarding place to work.
Over the last three years, many of my colleagues have become true friends who I dearly care about and I will miss them over the next year. I can't wait to get on the plane and head to the southern hemisphere, but I know that I will be just as excited to return. My friends, I hope that you have a great year and I hope that we can stay in touch!

   -Greg

2 comments:

  1. Heather and Greg, we are so lucky to be receiving you in Australia! All the best with the pack-up and departure... looking forward to greeting you at the other end!
    Cheers Anita and Alec Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I will miss your leadership, guidance and wise words! Jordyn insisted we look on the globe and see where you were going. I look forward to blog stalking you both!

    Kimmer :)

    ReplyDelete